To explore and advance new chemical frontiers in all four disciplines of chemistry including physical, inorganic, organic and biochemistry through visionary research, innovation, collaboration, and scholarship.
Department of Chemistry at SBKWU aspires to excel in chemical education, research and services.
Our Strategic Goals`
- Maintain graduate and undergraduate teaching and research programs to develop the next generation of academic, industrial, and government laboratory chemists who will be called upon to solve new problems.
- Increase the depth and breadth of outreach activities and opportunities for technology transfer from the faculty and staff to the people of the region, state and nation.
- Encourage interdisciplinary research endeavors that draw on and add to the research base within SBKWU.
- Enhance the basic and applied research framework in the Chemistry Department.
- Enhance services to the community.
- Build collaborations with other universities and the industry to achieve the department goals
Chemistry involves the study of all things chemical – chemical processes, chemical compositions and chemical manipulation – in order to better understand the way in which materials are structured, how they change and how they react in certain situations. Having gained chemical understanding at molecular level, chemistry graduates may choose to apply this knowledge in almost unlimited ways, as it can be used to analyze all matter and therefore our entire environment.
Those who study chemistry go on to do many exciting things in a whole range of industries. Notable chemistry graduates include former prime minister of the United Kingdom Margaret Thatcher; famous novelist, Kurt Vonnegut (who wrote Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat’s Cradle); NASA astronaut Story Musgrave and, Marie Curie, the pioneering scientist behind the theory of radioactivity. Basically, the possibilities for chemistry graduates are endless. Studying chemistry doesn’t restrict you to a career in a laboratory; it can lead to many different careers across a wide range of sectors. So, what can you do with a chemistry degree?
- Academic researcher
- Analytical chemist
- Chemical engineer
- Clinical scientist, biochemistry
- Forensic scientist
- Research scientist (physical sciences)
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Enthusiastic researcher
Seminar/ Conferences (2017-2018)
- 2017- Three days’ workshop organized on Endnote note in Department of Chemistry SBK Women’s University Quetta.
- 2018- One day work shop on Chem draw software by Dr. Saleha Suleman Khan in the Department of Chemistry SBK Women’s University Quetta.
- 2018- Organize workshop in a global chemist code of ethics and laboratory safety and security event note in Department of Chemistry SBK Women’s University Quetta.
- Organize workshop on EndNote in the Department of Chemistry SBKWU Quetta.
Name of Degree program: M.Phil in Chemistry
Program Started: 2009
Duration of Program: 2 Years
Credit hours: 30 credit hours (24 Course work + 6 Research work)
Total Number of students enrolled: 268
Session wise enrollment of students:
- 2009-2011: 10
- 2013-2015: 19
- 2014-2016: 23
- 2015-2017: 38
- 2016-2018: 41
- 2017-2019: 45
- 2018-2020: 51