Biotechnological revolution is commencing into a new age of research and development, a science that significantly impacts practically every aspect of human life. The world is becoming more and more aware of the critical importance of biodiversity and natural resources, Balochistan being rich in its natural resources and biodiversity is taking these realities into consideration and there is a need to explore and utilize natural resources of Balochistan by implementing biotechnological techniques for the betterment of our society.
The Department of Biotechnology of SBK Women’s University was established in Nov 2009, initially offering the degree program of BS Biotechnology, under the supervision of the worthy Vice Chancellor, Madam Sultana Baloch. With the induction of PhD faculty members PhD Biotechnology and Mphil Biotechnology programs were introduced in the year 2014 and 2015. The department is progressively expanding with considerable intake of students every year. The Faculty is heavily involved in teaching degree courses and is keen for initiating and establishing collaborative projects with industry and other academic institutions.
To become one of the leading biotechnological research and educational centers of Pakistan, imparting biotechnological knowledge and skills, contributing towards women education and development in the field of science and technology.
To impart knowledge in order to revolutionaries the use of biotechnological processes for the expansion in scientific research and development specially in agriculture, medicine, health, education, industry, veterinary and environmental sectors of the province and to produce biotechnological graduates with dynamic skills and professional attitude in order to fulfill the opportunities existing in biotechnological field globally.
Learning Objectives of Biotechnology Degree Programs:
The main objectives of the programs offered by the department are:
- To provide adequate theoretical and practical knowledge to students by teaching standard HEC approved courses throughout the degree programs.
- To impart, polish and enhance research skills of the students and provide them with research oriented environment.
- Promote graduates to become qualified skilled scientists by carrying out independent research in different disciplines of biotechnology
- Conduct applied research in basic and translational biotechnology and foster interactions and collaboration between faculty, researchers and industry.
- To decipher the inner capabilities of scholars
- To enable the students to acquire expertise in specialized areas
- To conduct community oriented research
- Well-furnished and multimedia equipped teaching halls.
- Smart board facility available.
- Undergraduate practical and research laboratory.
- Two specialized laboratories with high-tech equipment for post graduate and doctorate students.
- Video conferencing hall available in the faculty of Life Sciences.
- Need and merit based scholarships available for deserving candidates.
- Wifi internet facility in department and laboratories.
- Access of students to the digital library.
Job/ Career Opportunities:
- Industries (Food processing, Pharmaceutics, Bioremediation recycling plants, oil leaching)
- Forensic science department/ institutes
- Research and Development
- Health biotechnology
- Veterniary institutes (research and vaccine development)
- Agriculture biotechnology sector.